This year, Ardene completed its Greenhouse Gas Mapping certification with Climate Smart, and has pledged to reduce carbon emissions by more than 30% by 2025. This will allow us to not only follow but surpass, the Government of Canada’s emission reduction goals of 30% by 2030.
By examining our Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions, in line with the Greenhouse Gas Protocol (the international standard for carbon accounting developed by the World Resources Institute and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development), we are positioned to make big moves in our reduction plan.
We have already begun improving energy efficiency and waste reduction at our corporate head offices and warehouses, as well as at stores. Our product teams have already begun introducing an array of eco-conscious fabrics, such as Recycled Polyester, Bamboo Rayon, and Repreve fibers. In 2020, fabrics such as Recycled Nylon, Modal, and more will be integrated.
In 2019, our company launched a Sustainability Ambassador program, which creates accountability within each department as well as at the store level. Ambassadors are tasked with sharing the message and leading the charge when it comes to responsible practices.
Here is a snapshot of our company’s continued emissions reduction plan:
- Waste Reduction at the Head Office and Warehouses, including recycling programs, no more single-use cutlery, a ban on plastic water bottles, and more.
- 100% Recycled (and recyclable) shipping boxes for all e-commerce shipments. We continue to explore new options for plastic shipping bags.
- Air Freight reduction and conscious decision-making about shipping and transportation.
- Grow the Ardene Collective and Eco-Conscious Footwear Collections in apparel, accessories, and footwear. Continue with responsible fabrics.
- Support the circular economy and reduce landfill waste by accepting customer donations of new and gently used clothing and footwear at selects points of sale.
- Reduce product packaging by using fewer individual polybags. Move toward responsible options such as FSC certified paper.
- Focus on head office wellness, including a robust program for stores and head office that emphasizes mindfulness, meditation, and mental well-being.
- A Community Garden, along with lessons in urban agriculture and cultivation through partners at Ça Pousse!
We are investing more resources than ever before to ensure our brand is eco-conscious. Though we know our industry is not perfect, we are prepared for the long road ahead and know we can make a difference if we take this journey together.