Today is Blue Monday; a day whose name says it all. After the hustle of the holidays and heading back to work or school in the heart of winter, today has been identified as the saddest day of the year. The afterglow of vacation has worn off for many people, and we may not feel as motivated or as energized as we expected. For many of us, it has also been almost a year of challenging adjustments. Going to work or school from home all year, having social and travel restrictions and not being able to celebrate the holidays with loved ones can all take a toll on our mental health. We are not alone though, and we are determined to turn Blue Monday around with simple tips to help stay positive.
Daily Mood-Boosting Tips
This year we are planning to conquer Blue Monday with a few easy tips and tricks. Simple things can make a big difference, and these are easy to fit into our daily schedules so we can start every day with a little boost.
- Get some extra zzz’s. Cozying up in your favorite pj’s, going to bed early and trying to get at least 8 hours of sleep is more exhilarating for your mind and body than you think.
- Work up a sweat. A daily exercise routine, even a small one, is a great way to focus on deep breathing and releasing some extra “happy-making” endorphins.
- Stay positive and be thankful. Paying more attention to the things you are grateful for when you’re feeling down will make you more resilient against stress and negative emotions.
- Self-care isn’t selfish. Take a day to yourself to listen to music, dance with your eyes closed in your living room, bake your favorite cookies or even just lounge around and do nothing. It’s important to do things that make you happy and not feel guilty for having “me time”.
- Don’t forget the power of connection! Hanging out with your loved ones online or even your furry friends at home has a naturally therapeutic effect.
It’s normal to feel down at this time of year, especially given our circumstances, but a little extra effort to reach out to loved ones, focus on things we enjoy and put ourselves first will go a long way to keep the blues at bay. Join our community of good vibes by following @ardene on instagram.